Ok, so we all know the routine : CLEANSE (EXFOLIATE), TONE and MOISTURIZE! But what do you do when you beloved toner runs out? Well you could buy some more or if you like to experiment (and save money) like me, you make your own :)
*Note*....the THAYERS toner is not brown. I added my "new toner"" to the bottle :)
1 oz Apple Cider Vinegar (the organic kind works best)
3 oz Green Tea (use 3 teabags in 3 oz of water for the strongest brew)
10 drops Jojoba Oil/ Grapeseed Oil (these work well because they are light)
5 drops Vitamin E oil (optional) (also acts a preservative)
3 drops Tea Tree - great for ance prone skin, has antiseptic properties and acts as preservative.
Pour boiling water over the teabags and allow to steep for about 20 mins or until it cools completely. Add Apple Cider Vinegar and oils and shake, shake, shake. Then tone as usual.
WHY THESE INGREDIENTS?
Our skin ages because of oxidation, which is caused by free radicals attacking and destroying our healthy skin cells.
Green tea is loaded with natural antioxidants that deal with these free radicals and as a result is great for your skin. Anti-oxidants, found in many skin care products, are known help prevent wrinkling and dark circles under the eyes.
Apple cider vinegar is packed with alpha-hydroxy and amino acids that help to dissolve dead skin cells, oil and sebum that can clog pores, balance the pH level of skin and stimulate blood circulation. The acetic acid in apple cider vinegar stimulates the capillaries under the skin, leaving you with a soft glow. Apple cider vinegar has long been proven to be an active fighter against aging reduce and prevent wrinkles and the sagging of skin. Source
THINGS TO CONSIDER
- Store toner in a glass bottle because Apple Cider Vinegar is acidic and may "react" with you bottle (obviously I didn't follow this rule)
- This stuff DOES NOT smell good. But the smells disappear almost immediately.
- Toner can be made without the use of oils but it will have to be refrigerated.
- If your skin is dry; you may substitute the Apple Cider Vinegar for water (or use less ACV)
- Aloe Vera gel/juice can also be substituted also for ACV if your skin in dry.
- Add two drops of lemon essential oil. This great for diminishing dark marks.
I'm not sure if Mr. Thayer will get anymore sales from me because I'm really loving my inexpensive, skin firming, blemish clearing, wrinkle preventing toner :)
Do you have any homemade toner recipes? Feel free to share....
Until next time...