I've been in a love affair with Bentonite Clay since I started using it over a year ago. I use both on my hair and on my skin/face. I first started using it because I didn't shampoo much, but I've continued (even though I love using my Bobeam Shampoo bars) with no adverse effects :)
What is it?
Bentonite Clay is a naturally occurring clay that has been used since Ancient Times. It has been used medicinally and as an internal cleanser.
The name Bentonite Clay refers to a clay first identified in cretaceous rocks in Fort Benton, Wyoming (Yay...Wyoming! Had I known I would have collected some during my year there). Although, bentonite deposits can be found throughout the world,many of the largest concentrations are located in the Great Plains of North America [Source].
- Bentonite Clay contains a plethora of minerals including silica, aluminum and iron.
- It deep cleans and draws out toxins and removes build up from hair and skin without stripping natural oils
- It enhances NATURALLY OCCURRING curls...it shows what you already have :)
- Is a great replacement for clarifying shampoo
How I use it:
- Every 4-6 weeks as a detoxifying hair masque. I use the Aztec Healing Clay ($6+ at Whole Foods or online) mixed with Apple Cider Vinegar, Olive oil and warm water.
- I kinda eye-ball the ingredients but it;s about 1 Cup Clay, 1/4 Cup Vinegar, 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil and enough warm water to bring it to a pudding consistency :)
- Bi-weekly as a face masque. It's AWESOME for drawing toxins/dirt out of your pores, toning and leaving you (me) with clear skin :) *Always follow the directions.
- Always mix the clay in a non-metal bowl using non-metal utensils since to prevent the minerals in the clay from reacting with the metal.
Cover with a plastic bag/cap (also to prevent clay from drying) and leave on for 30 mins.
This is my naked hair (with no product) right after the clay was rinsed out and before I deep conditioned. I always have consistent results (soft, clean hair and scalp) but I still like to deep condition after.
Do you use Bentonite Clay? Share below....
Until next time